mercoledì 19 luglio 2017

Edward Heward Bunker (December 31, 1933 – July 19, 2005)

No Beast So Fierce - Part One (incipit)
In every cry of every man
In every infant’s cry of fear,
In every voice, in every ban,
The mind forg’d manacles I hear
William Blake

I SAT on the lidless toilet at the rear of the cell, shining the hideous, bulb-toed shoes that were issued to those being released. Through my mind ran an exultant chant, “I’ll be a free man in the morning.” But for all the exultation, the joy of leaving after eight calendars in prison was not unalloyed. My goal in buffing the ugly shoes was not so much to improve their appearance as to relieve tension. I was more nervous in facing release on parole than I had been on entering so long ago. It helped slightly to know that such apprehensiveness was common, though often denied, by men to whom the world outside was increasingly vague as the years passed away. Enough years in prison and a man would be as ill-equipped to handle the demands of freedom as a Trappist monk thrown into the maelstrom of New York City. At least the monk would have his faith to sustain him, while the former prisoner would possess memory of previous failure, of prison—and the incandescent awareness of being an “ex-convict”, a social outcast.



Nessun commento: